Monday, June 11, 2012

Hey look, awards ...

I'm not a big awards guy, but these deserve a little mention -- well, one in particular.

I received them last night from the Alabama Sports Writers Association during the annual awards banquet, which is just about the only time we can get everyone together and talk about the state of our industry. Of note:

1) These will likely be the only ASWA awards ever handed out in an Internet Division, which was a huge step for the very-traditional organization. With some of the state's major papers no longer having printed editions every day beginning in the fall, the division will almost certainly be discarded with all "published" entries allowed, not just "printed"for the various categories.

2) Because this was essentially the first contest we could enter, I believe these are the first writing awards in BamaOnline history.

3) Specially on the awards:

- The game story was for Alabama's win again Auburn last season. Because entries essentially have to be during the calendar year, I get to submit my story from the national championship game for the 2012 contest.
- The one on the right was for the tornado story I did, titled, "Three weeks later ..." (although it was initially announced for the feature I did about the student making Nick Saban's statue). In second place was my column right after the tornado, "Tears for Tuscaloosa."

In honor of of the tornado victims, this one's definitely going up on my wall and is dedicated to their memory.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here via BOL and i just wanted to say that the award could've have gone to a better guy. Keep up the hard work and look forward to continuing to read your writing there and here!