Friday, April 20, 2012

Whew ...

Ok, this week didn't go exactly the way I planned.

While wrapping up spring football, and making the transition to the closest thing we have to an offseason until mid-July, my top non-work goal was to finish the updates/rewrite of "100 Things Crimson Tide Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die."

I'm happy to report that it's done, and I'm very pleased with the outcome. Next step is my publishing house takes the original manuscript, inserts all the new stuff (which will take longer than they think because the print out of all my changes was 151 pages), they have to figure out much space we have to work with and then we make some decisions on photos. They print out the proofs, send a copy to me and another to an editor, make any necessary final changes and we're done.

But things didn't quite go that smoothly this week.

Wednesday night, when I was making the push to finish, a number of tweets started flying about a shooting on The Strip in Tuscaloosa and that a football player was involved. It was about 3 a.m., and I was dead tired, but it was kind of one of those drop everything moments like when Brandon Deaderick got shot during a failed carjacking a few days before the 2009 season opener (shout out to Jonathan Harder for going with me to that crime scene). Short version: I just missed all the police, but talked to some witnesses and by the time I got home had a pretty good idea that the player in question had been in a fight but had not been shot.

Turns out that two people shot guns into the air to disperse the crowd. They were promptly arrested. We made it clear on BOL that there wasn't a shooting but didn't report the players' name until we were absolutely clear on what had happened.

So yes, it was an incredibly long night/morning for me, but I'd rather have no shooting and trouble pinning down the specifics rather than a shooting and a great story. Regardless, I'm still catching up on sleep.

No comments: