Friday, May 22, 2009

Some awards are really tough to get ...

Ok, I'm not big on trying to pat myself on the back, but this one I'm pretty proud of.

Friday afternoon, the Alabama Press Association's Better Newspaper Contest winners were announced and I landed best sports column (and also contributed to the winning entry for best sports news in-depth coverage).

Many of you know that my goal has always been to become a sports columnist. Earlier this week, I also got three Alabama Managing Editors awards, including second place for sports column.

What I really like is that they were different columns. The AME column was on how black football players were getting arrested along The Strip in Tuscaloosa, and the other was for climbing into the ring with Olympic boxer Deontay Wilder -- who broke my orbital bone with one punch.

A heavy price to pay, but I'm going to enjoy it.

No comments: