Monday, April 9, 2012

Men at work

Ok, I'm just going to make sort of a mass-public apology here, because this is one of those times I'm in my own little world.

This is meant for those of you who might have well-meaningly asked something along the lines of "How did the book changes go?" and I looked at you blankly like there was a horn coming out of your head. That was followed by a pause as I bit my tongue to keep from saying something like "Oh, yeah, it took 20 minutes."

Like I said, own little world, especially with so much going on.

Basically, here's been my process:

1) I went through the entire original book and decided what to throw out, and/or what needed to be updated.

2) Made a list of things to add, either as a main entry or a sub-entry.

3) Threw out the previous order, figured out a new means for listing everything 1-100, and re-assigned all the sub-entries to the 100.

4) Created what I call the blueprint, listing everything in order and every change I plan to make.

5) Go in order, update every entry that needs to be updated, check everything again to make sure it's in the right place etc., and write all new entries. Also, be flexible to new ideas. For example, just today I threw out a sub-entry because I thought of a better one, wrote it up and then realized that I really needed to keep the original one so now I have an extra entry to squeeze in somewhere. Process, right?

6) After all 100 entries and sub-entries are completed write a new introduction, acknowledgments and source list.

7) Double check everything, edit and submit.

As I post this, I'm happy to let you all know that I'm officially half-way through step 5, as I got through all the changes to the new No. 50.

So what's No. 50? Sorry, you're just going to have to wait and see, but I appreciate everyone's patience as I try and get through this during the next couple of weeks.

No comments: