Monday, November 17, 2008

Anyone know how to get a book to the President-elect?

I'm not about to turn this blog into a political forum (we have enough of those), but President-elect Barack Obama isn't backing down at all about his statement that he would like a college football playoff.

"If you've got a bunch of teams who play throughout the season, and many of them have one loss or two losses, there's no clear decisive winner. We should be creating a playoff system," he told 60 Minutes reporter Steve Kroft.

Obama would like an eight-team playoff, four more than what the SEC is plugging.

"It would add three extra weeks to the season," he said at the conclusion of a wide-ranging interview. "You could trim back on the regular season. I don't know any serious fan of college football who has disagreed with me on this. So, I'm going to throw my weight around a little bit. I think it's the right thing to do."

The BCS' response was predictable.

BCS coordinator John Swofford said in a statement: "First of all I want to congratulate newly elected President Obama and I am glad he has a passion for college football like so many other Americans.

"For now, our constituencies -- and I know he understands constituencies -- have settled on the current BCS system, which the majority believe is the best system yet to determine a national champion while also maintaining the college football regular season as the best and most meaningful in sports."
Swofford added: "We certainly respect the opinions of president-elect Obama and welcome dialogue on what's best for college football."

No comments: