Friday, July 12, 2013

Last summer "fling" if you will ...

I headed up to Nashville with friend Jonathan Harder for a little inspiration Wednesday, to catch Neil Gaiman's final book tour and land a copy of his latest release, The Ocean at the End of the Lane. 

Actually, the idea to go was Patrick McDonald's, who three years ago wasn't able to attend Neil's visit to Tuscaloosa, so a friend snuck me into the dinner/celebration afterward and Gaiman was nice enough  to sign an autograph for him (very nice guy). However, Patrick got called away on work, so again we were left just getting him an autograph.

Neil was terrific. He normally does a reading from the beginning of the book, but said he had promised himself that if there was ever a thunderstorm he would read that part even though most of the audience would be clueless about the plot. A nasty one was rolling through town, with lightning and thunder providing some wonderful atmosphere as 1,800 people at War Memorial Auditorium listened intently, and then he had Bela Fleck join him on stage for another reading.

I'll be honest, I didn't know that Fleck's considered arguably the best banjo player in the world, but new and unique experiences turned out to be a theme for the night as we later discovered The Patterson House in Nashville and wondered why no one had told us about the wonderful place before.

Oh, and organizers did the post-reading autograph session by lottery and our row was the fourth one called. Considering the way our luck was going we went and purchased lottery tickets.

Specific to my books, a couple of things:

1) As some of you may know, yes, for years I've been working on a novel on the side, but have kept setting it aside for other projects. I'm hoping to get back into it in the spring, but who knows?

2) Unless something comes up, or my publisher says to do otherwise, next week I'll be revealing the subject of my book coming out in 2014. I'll do so, right here, because, well, I can ...

No comments: