Friday, July 19, 2013

Time for the big reveal ...


So you've all known that I was working on a book.

There have been some hints that it had something to do with college football, and was probably Alabama-related. 

Many of you have also seen some of the charts and stories I did for BOL this summer with a 15-part "Their place in history series."


Well, to quote Randy Bachman, "You ain't seen nothing yet."


The book is about Nick Saban, and I didn't just want to write "a" book about Saban, but "the" book when it comes to putting what he's accomplished as a coach into perspective. I'll be shocked if it doesn't become my most successful book yet. 


As for when it's going to be released the target date is next summer, but it could be influenced by how Alabama does this season. Although I'm in the middle of making some major format changes the first draft of the book is done, with the manuscript due, ironically, on Saban's birthday, Oct 31. 


While you all wait, here's some food for thought on Saban's place in history as he was asked about being compared to Paul W. "Bear" Bryant during SEC Media Days on Thursday:


"I think Bear Bryant is probably the greatest coach in college football in terms of what he accomplished, what his legacy is. I think the biggest thing that impacts me is how many peoples' lives he affected in a positive way, players that played for him, because they all come back and say how he affected their life. They don't come back and say, We won a championship in '78, '79, '61, whenever it was. They come back and say how he affected their lives. There's a lot of Bear Bryant stories that I've learned a lot from, that have made me a better person. I certainly appreciate that, have a tremendous amount of respect for what he accomplished.

"There's no way that we have done anything close to what he's done in terms of his consistency over time, how he changed what he did to impact the times. They threw the ball and won. They ran the wishbone and won. I mean, he changed tremendously to do what he needed to do to be successful. I don't think that it would be fair that anyone really be compared to what he was able to accomplish, the way he did it, and how he impacted other people."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's about time! Get to work.

Unknown said...

It's about time! Get to work.