Monday, October 8, 2007

1921 Washington & Jefferson (and Cal)

I'm in a weird mood today, somewhere between emotionally fried, neurotic and a little freaked out.

Granted, a lot of that had to do with the weekend (trust me, don't ask, you don't want to know), but maybe it had to do with how close Cal came to becoming No. 1, the thought of someone actually voting USF second, and Notre Dame ended its worst start ever with a win at UCLA.

"When you're 0-5, everyone in the country is laughing at you," Charlie Weis said. "The only thing you can do is do something about it on the field. I'm really happy for the kids.
"We never had a better week of practice since I've been here. I said good things will happen, and it happened."

I guess beating a walk-on quarterback counts as a good thing.

Anyway, a weird day means a weird photo (maybe Tuesday I'll get some color back on this page). Coming off its national championship season, Cal was again undefeated entering the 1922 Rose Bowl, but held to a 0-0 tie by Washington & Jefferson, which never made a substitution. Cal doesn’t complete a pass in the mud in the final Rose Bowl played at Tournament Park. Courtesy of Tournament of Roses archives.

No comments: