Friday, December 12, 2008

Best book signing yet

Memo to book-store managers everywhere: If you want to have a good book signing, call Maggie Clark, the community relations manager at the Barnes & Noble in Huntsville (Jones Valley location), and ask her how to do it.

Friday night was the store's annual "Pep Rally" signing with regional authors of sports-related books. I couldn't make it last year, so was glad my schedule was open for this one. It was me,
Chette Williams ("Hard Fighting Soldier: Finding God in Trials, Tragedies and Triumphs") , Richard Scott ("SEC Football: 75 Years of Pride and Passion"), and David White ("Leadership Lessons for Life: Alabama High School Football Coaches Favorite Quotes & Inspirational Stories"). FYI, Williams is the Auburn football team chaplain, and I'm in the acknowledgements in Scott's book (thanks).

So after getting lost in Huntsville and arriving a few minutes late (sorry again about that), I saw an impressive stack of my books, but not "100 Things Crimson Tide Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die." No one, including myself, had told Maggie that I had a new book out, yet somehow, while we were at dinner, they came up with 15 copies.

As neat as that was, I later found out that most of the copies on the table, more than 100, had already been purchased. They had been promoting the event for weeks, even on local television stations.

Maggie, whenever you want me back, I'm there. Thanks.

No comments: