Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Saying goodbye

Saturday is going to be a very sad day for me because one of the newspapers I used to work at is closing shop.

I like the lead of the Associated Press article:

TUCSON _ Marshal Wyatt Earp's fabled 1881 shootout at the OK Corral in Tombstone was reported this way:"A day when blood flowed as water, and human life was held as a shuttlecock, a day always to be remembered as witnessing the bloodiest and the deadliest street fight that has ever occurred in this place, or probably in the territory."For nearly 140 years, the Tucson Citizen has told the stories of Southern Arizona, but on Saturday, March 21, the state's oldest newspaper will tell its last -- its own.

Strange but true, my publisher was Don Hatfield, a direct descendant of the Hatfield-McCoy feud (huge Arizona Wildcats basketball fan).

I wish this was an isolated situation, but it's not. On SportsJournalists.com, here's what was listed on the front page of the forums today:

"Bye-Bye (Seattle) PI"
"...On Death of newspapers"
"Bloody Monday at KC"
"Seattle PI announcement to come..."
"Tucson Citizen closing up shop"
"Staff layoffs, pay cuts in Raleigh"
"Today is layoff day at my shop"
"More cuts at McClatchy"
"Herald to cut 175"
"Fate of Rocky (was) announced"
"Time to root for failure"
"Fuloughs beginning at CNHI"
"Media General goes to furloughs"
"D-Day has arrived at my shop. Wish me luck."
"Thinking the unthinkable _ What's next?"

No comments: