Thursday, September 6, 2007

1936 Pitt

Yesterday I heard that the galleys of the book are in, which is a good sign that the actual books are getting close to appearing. FYI, according to an online dictionary, a galley is "a typeset draft used for proofreading copy and estimating text length, sometimes sent to book reviewers." That's pretty darn dead on. My publisher likes to use them to make sure everything looks great, and after they give them the once over send a bunch out to be reviewed. I remember my first book the galleys were done before the final edits were made, so they were particularly bad. Hopefully no one read them. However, I don't think there was time to do that in this case, so I'm optimistic that they're pretty decent.

Either way, I really want to see one. Oh well. Not much longer now.

I'm guessing theyr'e going to send out approximately 80 copies of the galleys in the next couple of days, primarily to national football writers and college football media outlets, so things will start picking up as we near the end-of-month release. This is now the official calm before the storm, although considering the season has already started everything's a blur anyway.

As for the photo, Frank Patrick scored two touchdowns and combined with Bobby LaRue, Bill Daddio and Marshall Goldberg to lead a 254-yard rushing performance as Pitt defeated Washington in the 1937 Rose Bowl, 21-0. The following year, the Panthers would be the consensus national champion. Photo courtesy of Tournament of Roses archives.

No comments: